Re: [xrt_co:02713] xrt_co: - Whole Heliospheric Interval study - input for XRT obervations

Hi XRT-CO's and scientists,

Let me clarify Ed's email below, a little.  The Whole Heliospheric
Interval is a coordinated observing and modeling campaign taking
place in Carrington Rotation 2068: March 20 - April 16, 2008.  It is
designed to study the "3-dimensional interconnected solar-
heliospheric-planetary system." (see http://ihy2007.org/WHI/
WHI.shtml)   There are many sub-studies in this effort (think of it
like the SUMER campaigns), and the coordinators of these studies are
currently looking for input from the instrument teams.  Alphonse and
I are listed as the POCs for Hinode/XRT - I think a useful to go
about organizing this would be for people to volunteer ideas for
observing plans for each of the individual studies, and give them to
me, so that the WHI coordinators have only one XRT person to interact
with.  I will volunteer myself for the Polar crown filament/ cavity
study.  Here are the other proposed studies:

Solar Targeted Observing Campaigns (each to be run one week of CROT
2068)

1) Linking the Corona to the Solar Wind at Ulysses (to occur at the
NE limb of the Sun)
Coordinator: Giannina Poletto

2) Origin of the Slow Solar Wind (to occur at a streamer at the limb,
probably NE quadrant)
Coordinator: Leonard Strachan
Scientific Objectives: To understand the origin of the slow solar
wind from coronal streamer regions, including the core, stalk, and
boundaries. We are interested in measurements at all heights in the
corona and in the solar wind: Temperature, density, abundance,
outflow velocity measurements will be useful.
Also in order to study the 3D structure of streamers we would like
synoptic observations in all imaging instruments.

3) Coronal Hole Boundary (to occur on disk, probably a polar hole,
but an equatorial hole if available)
Coordinator: Craig DeForest

4) Quiet Sun (to occur on disk, near center)
Coordinator: Scott McIntosh
 From Scott: "I think that we need to push for data that will help us
study the interplay of the constantly evolving magnetic fields and
various MA wave motions and observe how together they generate and
maintain the structures that we see in the chromosphere, radiating in
the transition region and maybe even get a feel for how those [waves
and structures] connect to the corona although that is a tougher
proposition. Thoughts and additions to the rationale are certainly
most welcome."

Target of Opportunity Campaigns

1) Polar Crown Filament/Cavity Study
Coordinator: Sarah Gibson

2) Active Region Study
Coordinator: Bob Leamon

3) Equatorial Coronal Hole Study
Coordinator: Mari Paz Miralles
Scientific Objectives: To understand the origin of the solar wind from
low-latitude coronal holes, including coronal hole boundaries. We are
interested
in measurements at all heights in the corona and in the solar wind:
Temperature, density, abundance, outflow velocity measurements will
be useful.

Please let me know if you have ideas for observing plans for any of
these topics.  The coordinators of these campaigns are looking for
input within the next week or two.

Note that the WHI campaign hasn't been added to the Hinode calendar
yet.  Alphonse, were you going to take care of communicating with the
SSCs, or should I?

Thanks,

Kathy