Re: xrt_co: - Draft proposal

Ed

OK, our visitor has given me his A&A paper, so this is a follow-up on my
wrong button.) Again, I would think that you should stay away from the
7-day lifetime regions, even though they may not rotate with a different
differential coefficient. They will, however, become fairly large, so
that defining their location might become difficult.

So, what can you do with one-day lifetime regions? At a speed of 15
km/sec, the latitudinal motion will amount to about 1300 km per day.
That's about 2 arcsec, and I think is probably about equal to the best
you could expect in terms of locating a central position for each XBP.
That's not so terrible if you measure, say, 100 of them and figure that
the statistics go as N^1/2. I'd say you have a chance of succeeding.

By the way, you will only have a few 1-day regions regions each day. If
you go for 2-day regions (might as well, while you're at it) there won't
be many of them.

Leon

--

Dr. Leon Golub; Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
60 Garden Street, Cambridge MA 02138