From: Peter Smith <plsmith@cfa.harvard.edu>
Date: November 28, 2006 3:00:06 AM JST
To: Steve Saar <saar@head.cfa.harvard.edu>
Subject: XRT (and EIS?) obs of stars

Here are some possibilities:

Crab Nebula  ~ June 14    (almost 5 Rsun away, but maybe worth the effort)
I Gem  about June 21   G5 III
WY Gem     June 23    K5
Rho Leo      Aug 28    B1 I
CN Leo       Sep 4      Cataclysmic Variable
HD144608  Nov 25   G3 III
Nu1 Sgr     Jan 1      K2 V
HD206301  Feb 10   G2 IV
38 Aqr    Feb 19

I haven't checked trajectories well, but 38 Aqr and Rho Leo should pass
behind the sun.

Peter

Steve Saar wrote:
hi again,
it seems that since omega sco is not a major Xray source, if XRT misses it it is not a great loss.  (Its more useful for the EIS folks, given its UV continuum).  We should definintely be on the lookout for other stellar eclipses tho- any source with a nice, well defined Xray continuum could potentially be used as a flashlight thru solar coronal structures, which would
absorb the stellar Xrays in selected lines, permitting diagnosis of the absorbing solar features (densities, temperatures, sizes) in the best cases.
Is there any quicky program that predicts the RA DEC of the sun for any give date/time?  One could potentially cross match this with eg, the Rosat catalog to look for bright Xray eclipsers.
cheers,
steve